Chancellorship and presidency of Germany were united. Adolf
Hitler became Führer
lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in a seven-game World Series
defeated Detroit to win the Stanley Cup
Happened One Night won Academy Awards for Best Picture,
Director, Actor, & Actress.
Haven Music in Roanoke, VA was founded.
Musician Charles A. Rowe, Sr. (pictured left) had traveled from
New Orleans to the Roanoke area in the summer of 1919. A
pretty girl named Lessie attended one of his performances.
He invited her to go to church with him that following Sunday
and by years end, they were married. Thus began
a lifetime commitment of love and bringing the beauty of music
to thousands, notes their son, Charles A. Rowe, Jr., who
runs the business today with his wife, Sue.
back over seven decades, Rowe comments, The heyday of the
home organ business in the 1960s and early 70s was a very
successful time. Then, with the advent of digital pianos, we took
on the Technics line in 1985 and have since expanded into other
lines of digital pianos and keyboards which have done very well
for us, also.
the other hand, the most difficult years would have to be the Great
Depression and again during World War II because (music) manufacturers
were making items for the war effort. That created quite a
shortage of merchandise.
believes Melody Haven has lasted over 70 years due to the familys
love of music and the sincere desire to share that love of music
with our customers.
at right is Charles A Rowe, Sr. directing a group of his students
in the 1930's
Charles A. Rowe , Jr. on the accordion
Joe Rowe on piano
Jim Rowe on clarinet
with their Teenage Orchestra
showroom was in the stores former location on 2nd Street,
next to the Greene Memorial Church. In 1978, their building
was purchased and immediately leveled to create a parking lot which
At right: The Melody Haven Showroom circa 1963.
Pictured left to right are Mr. & Mrs. Charles A. Rowe, Sr.,
Mr. & Mrs. Charles A. Rowe, Jr.
The Melody Haven Storefront in 1969.
Rowes are taking delivery of a shipment of pianos. This photo
is of their original location at 416 2nd Street. The Greene
Memorial Church is visible behind the moving van.